Monday, February 6, 2012

Mickey Mouse comes to Thailand

I'm amazed at how extensively Mickey Mouse travels this planet. I've visited Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia, Ethiopia, Congo, India and Thailand; and every place I go, I find myself thinking "wow, Mickey Mouse".  I used to think I was following him, but now I think he's also following me.  Almost any place I've returned to where I've done work, I again think "Mickey Mouse".  I thought I saw him today: one boy showed me a dead rodent.  I asked him what it was, and he said a word somewhere between "ja" and "ye".  So it wasn't Mickey - I'll probably continue to find Mickey Mouse wherever I go.

The good news is, there are other workers here who don't get trailed so much by the Californian rodent.


Damlawa is getting really good at making furniture.  If there's something to make, he'll figure out how to do it, then how to improve it.

After all my attempts to make a well-functioning crib, Damlawa made this bamboo swinging crib.  He should patent this thing.

Yazeh started helping Damlawa just before I came this year.  He's very  helpful - he likes to take my projects over sometimes, but that's okay since I have lots to do.

I got to work with a fellow Okanagan resident last Wednesday.  Dave and his family are from Kelowna.  They work for Imagine Thailand, putting in water purification systems for immigrant/refugee schools.

These Karen guys work with Dave, and know all about putting together and using the filters.

Here's the system Imagine Thailand donated to the school.  The water from it tastes great.

No comments:

Post a Comment