Sunday, February 19, 2012

firsts

Last week brought me some new experiences.

On Monday, I went to a big boarding home with a bunch of the staff and students from the school here.  The place is funded by Reach Switzerland, and it's about 2/3 of the way from here to Mae Sot.  A handful of us stayed at Pastor Seth's house, where we were treated to an upscale Karen meal.  I enjoyed it well enough until one of the teachers pulled something from the soup and cleaned it down to the ribcage.  When I asked if any of the dishes were vegetarian, I became glad for the brown rice and peanuts I had packed.

The next day, Blet Jaw and Wah Nay Paw were married.  Blet Jaw is the teacher who has been helping Gayle with her medical ministry - one of the nicest people ever.  Wah Nay Paw is a teacher here at the school - she's more quiet, so I don't know her as well.




Blet Jaw has been a huge help to Gayle



Certainly one of the best-photographed weddings in Karen history...



On Wednesday, the Steck family left for a conference in Chiang Mai.  That left all the post-kindergarten english classes with no teacher for 3 days (now it might be 4 days).  So I offered to go to the higher grade (5-8) classes and help them with pronounciation and questions they might have.  The story ends up with grades 1-4 being the confused ones, however, because those are the classes I was sent to.

1 comment:

  1. That's sweet that they were married on Valentine's day! Looks like a beautiful wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete