Wednesday, February 3, 2010

the hippo and the weight loss plan

Last night I woke up to getting rained on, so I had to quickly set up my bed inside. It was nice though, it rained enough to significantly cool it down here. I had been rather warm. I knew it was hot here: probably slightly over 30C. Turns out it was about 40C. I guess I’ll have some adjusting to do when I get back home.

I’ve been taking it easy lately. I discovered an excellent weight loss program. The night of Sunday Jan. 24, I got crazily cold for a couple hours, then hot again. The next day I spent in bed and on the ceramic. I’ve seen ads that say things like “I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks”. I now know that’s nothing: I had them beat within a couple days. Thankfully, I’m now feeling almost 100% again. And thankfully, just like with most of those advertised weight loss programs, my pounds are coming back slowly.

Through the time of feeling bad, I got to take some photos and videos, and get some good reading in. The lay missionaries were here, and we filmed some of them telling some really good stories of God blessing their ministries and overcoming challenges. Witchcraft is a very real thing here, and these missionaries experience first-hand God’s power to overcome it.

We’ve gone to the beach twice this week. On Sunday, we saw the hippo again. After it retreated into the reeds, a fisher cautiously paddled up to the area in a canoe to check his nets. After a while, the hippo decided he didn’t like the invasion, and threatened the canoe, coming quite far out of the water. The fisher paddled off, with his son throwing rocks from the canoe. I think they were almost used to the ordeal, and were more annoyed than anything. We sure weren’t annoyed though; we were happy to get good views of the hippo.

Many times while working with the one-day church structures here, I found myself wishing I’d learned things faster. Now I’ve been teaching a few of the local workers the ins-and-outs of building them. It’s quite an experience, especially with my limited ability to communicate with them. It’s very rewarding to see them learn. Life here can be very rough, and finding work is a daily struggle for many people here. Hopefully the skills our workers are learning will serve them well in the future.

Best wishes to all the friends and family of Pastor Burgess. I’m sad I won’t be seeing him again in this life. Thank God: He “Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise”. Here’s what CFM is all about: spreading this good news to the many people here who haven’t heard it. By the way, if you question the above quote, I’m sure you have good reason to. But let me know: I’ll be happy to share with you the reasons I believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment