Monday, October 19, 2009

Stanley Falls Visit

Here's what happened recently:

We finally finished getting the roof of the shop up on thursday

We went to the zoo, which has 4 animals: a chimp, a baboon, another monkey, and a snake. It was neat: I met some animals that go as ape over bananas as I do. Then we went to the beach, played soccer with a couple of locals (got schooled), and swam

I spent friday in the skid-steer in the sand hole, pushed my limits lots
The workers killed 2 snakes on the property ...and ate them...

Relaxed, walked lots, tried to talk in french with some people

On sunday morning I laid out and pounded stakes for the senior Mosier's house

On sunday afternoon Nathan Friedrich, Dadi and I went to Stanley Falls:
Dadi is a good worker who knows some English, so we asked him to come
We crossed Congo river in a giant dug-out canoe (with a motor)
We took pedal-bike taxis to the falls area (I hate letting somone else pedal)
We stirred up quite a commotion - all the locals want money
The local chiefs demanded money, but said we could take pictures
As famous as Stanley falls is, it's really just some rapids. It was neat to see the local fishing methods, people canoeing up the falls, etc.

Today we make scaffolding for the bricklayers, got rained out for a while, and played soccer with the locals. It's nice they let me play: they think and act probably 4X faster than me... I'll have to play more often

No comments:

Post a Comment